I am a reader supported Holistic Health blogger trying to make an impact in the world. Through affiliate links and ads I may receive a small compensation which allows me to create quality content, at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here. Even sharing goes a long way 🙂
Acne is a skin condition that affects millions of people every year. It can be caused by many factors, such as stress, diet, and hormones. While there are many over the counter and prescription medications available to help with acne, some people prefer to use natural remedies. Essential oils are a great option for those looking for a natural way to treat their acne.
Let’s face it, acne is the worst. You feel like you can’t leave the house without makeup to cover up all the blemishes. I had it so bad growing up. And even now as an adult, I’ll get the occasional breakout.
It seemed like the more I used conventional products that had salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, the more dependent on them I became. My acne would clear up, but once I quit using the products, it would come back.
There IS a natural way to get rid of acne, for good! No, I’m not talking about some crazy fad diet or special skincare routine. I’m talking about essential oils for acne!
In this blog post, I’ll share with you the best essential oils for acne and how to use them for maximum results. Trust me, your skin will thank you!
- Essential Oils for Shingles- Safe and Effective Relief!
- 10 Essential Oils for Cold Sores- Experience Natural Relief!
What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that affects about 50-million of people every year. It can cause pimples, blackheads, and other blemishes on the skin. Acne is caused by a number of factors, including genetics, hormones, and bacteria.
Acne can be treated with a number of methods, including over the counter medications, prescription medications, and natural remedies, like essential oils.
What Causes Acne?
Acne is caused when the pores in your skin become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. This can happen when the sebaceous glands produce too much oil, which can mix with sweat and dirt on the surface of your skin. The combination of these substances can block the pores, leading to acne lesions.
But what actually causes clogged pores?
- Stress. While stress does not directly cause acne, it can potentially make it worse. Studies have shown that psychological stress can have a physical impact on the body and slow down wound healing. This includes acne.
- Hormones. This is why we typically see or experience acne during the onset of puberty. According to Healthline, in adults, hormonal imbalances can cause inflammation in the skin, excess oil production, clogged skin cell and the development of acne causing bacteria Propionibacterium acnes
- Acne Causing bacteria, aka Propionibacterium acnes, are always on the skin. It’s only when pores become clogged that the bacteria builds up in sebum oil and gets trapped inside the clogged pores.
- Excess Sebum Production. If you have naturally oily skin, your body may be producing excess sebum oil. Hormones can affect sebum production, specifically androgens. Also, certain foods, those high in saturated fats and table sugar can affect sebum production.
- 8 Essential Oils for Bronchitis- Ease Symptoms Naturally!
- Essential Oils for Allergies- Find Relief FAST!
How Can Essential Oils Help Treat Acne?
Essential oils are pure, natural plant extracts. They are potent antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, antibacterial, antiseptic,
Essential oils are natural remedies that can help treat acne. They work by helping to unclog the pores and kill the bacteria that cause acne. Essential oils also have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the redness and swelling associated with acne.
In treating acne, it’s best to use essential oils that can fight the bacteria and decrease inflammation.
6 Best Essential Oils for Acne Causing Bacteria
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most popular essential oils for acne. It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can help to kill the bacteria that cause acne and reduce inflammation.
A study conducted in 2007 concluded that a 5% tea tree oil gel was effective at treating mild to moderate acne vulgaris.
Lavender oil is another popular essential oil for treating acne. It has antimicrobial properties that can help to kill the bacteria that cause acne. Lavender oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce the redness and swelling associated with acne.
You can also diffuse lavender and use it for its stress relieving properties, while using another essential oil to specifically fight the acne causing bacteria.
Rosemary essential oil is a great solution for those who suffer from acne. The powerful antibacterial, antiseptic and astringent properties work to fight off any potential breakouts while also preventing more of them from showing up!
You’ll also get a nice natural scent after using!
Oregano and Thyme Oil
Thyme oil is an effective essential oil for treating acne. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to kill the bacteria that causes acne. Thyme and Oregano can be a powerful duo at acne treatment when used together!
In fact, a 2018 study from the University of Cairo demonstrated that this duo is very effective at fighting the main bacteria that causes acne.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is an effective antibacterial that can help kill off bacteria trapped in pores. While doing this, it can really help clear up the skin and promote faster healing!
How to Use Essential Oils for Acne Causing Bacteria
Tea Tree Oil and Lavender Oil Overnight Spot Treatment:
- 6 drops tea tree essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons pure aloe vera gel
- small glass container
- Combine oils together and store in the small glass container
- Before bed and after cleansing your face, use a spot treatment by applying mixture directly to acne spots
- Leave on overnight
- Rinse with warm water in the morning
Essential Oil Facial Scrub:
- 8 drops thyme essential oil
- 7 drops oregano essential oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 100 ml fractionated coconut oil
- 25 ml jojoba oil
- Mix the brown sugar and essential oil and other oils together
- Apply to face and massage in a circular motion for 5 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
- Store rest in an air tight container
- Use once daily
I hope you have found this post informative and useful! Let me know if there’s any questions in the comments!
You May also Enjoy: