Do you love potato salad but can never seem to finish it all before it goes bad? Or maybe you want to make a big batch of it for a party, but don’t want to deal with the hassle of keeping it fresh.
Have you ever wondered, can you freeze potato salad? And if you freeze it, will it still taste fresh?
Good news! Yes, you can freeze potato salad in either individual portions or as an entire batch, and it will stay fresh and delicious for months. However, there are some important things to keep in mind. Otherwise, the taste and texture will deteriorate over time.
Keep on reading so you’re never left wondering, can you freeze potato salad, ever again!
How to Make Homemade Potato Salad
The beauty of making your own potato salad is that you can add whatever flavors you want. Some people like to add pickles, bacon bits, olives, celery and onions while others prefer a sweeter flavor with apples or raisins. No matter what type of potatoes you use or which other ingredients are added into the mix, this recipe will help make delicious homemade potato salad every time!
- Boil 4-5 pounds of whole potatoes until they’re tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes). Drain and cool them off in cold water for a few minutes before cutting them up into bite sized pieces. The smaller they are cut the quicker they’ll cook when heated later on.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Slowly whisk it into 4-6 tablespoons of mayonnaise and add salt to taste.
- Gently stir in the potatoes and other ingredients you want to include (onions, celery, etc.) until everything is combined without breaking apart the potatoes too much.
- Chill overnight before serving for the best flavor.
- Serve with your favorite barbeque, steak or sandwich recipe for a tasty meal!
If you want to save some of the potato salad for later, don’t add all of the onions, celery and other ingredients you want to use. Add them when you plan to eat the salad so they don’t get soggy in the refrigerator.
What to do With Leftover Potato Salad
After you’ve made potato salad, you’re probably wondering what to do with the rest! Can you freeze potato salad or is it better to refrigerate?
Well, it really depends on how much you have and how soon you are planning to enjoy the rest!
- Homemade potato salad will stay good in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days
- You can freeze homemade potato salad for up to 3 months
What’s the Best Way to Freeze Potato Salad?
It’s always great having some delicious leftover, but if you don’t store them property, they may not last nearly as long! Here are the best ways to freeze potato salad!
- First, you’ll need a Freezer safe zip loc bag or an airtight container.
- If using a Freezer safe zip loc bag, it’s important to try to get all the air out of the bag after putting the potato salad in it. You want to eliminate as much moisture as possible from coming into contact with the food.
- If using an airtight container, leave a couple inches between the potato salad and the top of the lid. Expect for the food to expand and swell while frozen.
- Label the product with what it is and the date.
Can you freeze potato salad if it’s store-bought? Yes and no. If it has previously been frozen it’s best to not freeze again. if it’s fresh, then yes you can freeze it.
Simply remove it from it’s original container and either place in a freezer safe zip loc bag or air-tight container following the steps above!
How do you Defrost Potato Salad?
Defrosting time will depend largely on how quickly you want it to happen. The best way is to place the container or zip loc bag in a bowl of cold water and change the water every 30 minutes until thawed. This is probably the quickest way!
It is recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to thaw out food as cold a temperature as possible to avoid bacteria growth. Potato salad is recommended at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.
If you don’t plan on eating your potato salad for a day, you can leave it in the refrigerator to defrost overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you Freeze Potato Salad Made with Mayonnaise?
Yes, you can freeze potato salad made with mayonnaise. However, it is important to note that the texture and flavor of the salad may change after freezing. To ensure the best results, let the salad thaw completely before serving. You may also want to add a little extra mayonnaise or dressing if the salad seems dry after freezing.
By nature, mayonnaise will start to separate when frozen. While it doesn’t do its best while frozen, keeping potato salad in the freezer for no longer than 3 months should still keep it tasting pretty fresh. leaving it in much longer will result in a slimy substance that you may not want to eat.
How long does potato salad with egg last in the fridge?
Potato salad with egg will last in the fridge for 3-4 days. If you wish to freeze it, it will last for 2-3 months.
You may also enjoy:
- 8 Best Sugar Free Syrups of 2022
- 20 Healthy Foods That Start With G
- Is Butter Paleo Approved?
- Can You Freeze Potato Salad and it Still be Fresh Tasting?
- How to Freeze Ginger for Optimal Freshness and Flavor